Lesson Learned Form Hanze University, School of Nursing
Masfuri, SKp, MN
Competent nurses are demanded by the nation as the health indicator in Indonesia is still low. Furthermore, qualified graduate will have positive impact on the student, the school and the nation. As we know, that the need of nurse in the world is very high but the number of nurses who pass the selection is still under expectation. Strategies to advance the nursing competency should be created in order to address the health problems. Creating curriculum or program, which is specific in order to improve the nurse competency is one of the solutions can be done to address the nursing and health issues in Indonesia. Regarding the current clinical teaching practice in most part of Indonesia, there are some suggestion could be considered.
Curriculum design and assessment methods
The understanding of the curriculum design and assessment method is the basic foundation of the lecturer and the clinical instructor to perform the task effectively. From the course we can reflect what the weakness of the current nursing education practice in Indonesia should be improved and what the good thing would be maintained. There are suggestion could be considered.
- Mapping of the competency of the entire subject in the overall curriculum should be conducted involving all the expert in all area of expertise. So, overlap of the competency, skills and knowledge can be minimized. Furthermore, specificity of the content of the subjects will be better to see the inter subject alignment and give more advantages to the graduates.
- Readjusting the assessment method in class and clinical practice in the current practice will give more beneficial for the students learning. Overload assessment will give the chance to the student to focus only in finishing the assessment in anxious situation and limited time. In that situation, deep learning approaches can not be maximized. Furthermore, in the clinical practice, students have too many paper works that distract the students in enjoying the real clinical practice atmosphere to prepare them perform as a real professional nurse.
- Assignment should be focused on giving feedback on what students have been studied rather than giving mark. Final product or services of subjects should be created in order to measure the goal of the subject and the students understanding. However, controlling the students’ engagement in the process is very challenging when the final assignment will be the biggest assessment criteria.
(How to map the competencies, making gradual load of the students, designing assignment model and clinical lader? Please, contact the outhor)
Didactical method that we learn, seem as services for the student in facing the independent study climate. As the learning is an individual process, students may have problem in their study. Didactical methods prepare the students in dealing many problematic situations during study and prevent them from fail in the subject being studied. The methods also give benefit to the students to share their experience in solving the problem. Therefore, it is very important soft skill for the students after their graduated as a professional. The implications could be thought.
- Didactical method can be use to improve the role of the academic advisor in fostering the student potential.
- The role of academic advisor should be sifted from giving more direct suggestion or answer to exploring others students experiences to solve appear or potential problem. Student should have awareness on the current situation and potential problems. ABCS method, spiral method, intervision method can be a soluiton)
- Sharing experience in the student group will have an impact on their cohesiveness and improving collegiality.
- Scheduled program should be created to meet the students depend on the general condition of the group. For example the first year students have more potential problem than third students. So, the group of first year students should have more time to see the academic advisor to prevent from problem and advent their potential. This program also suitable for professional stage students.
(How to conduct that didactical techniques? do we need a special workshop?)
Coaching and clinical instructor skill
Coaching is very important aspect to understand individual student’s potential. This is very important in giving the feedback of the student plan of action especially in professional stage. Instructor skill and experience during the laboratory sessions have some similarities in Indonesia. However, clinical situation and working culture in the hospital introduced more exiting experience. The benefit can be implement is listed below.
- Improving the skill of the clinical instructor and ratio in conducting effective clinical teaching in clinical field. The clinical instructor, for example in University Medic Centrum of Groningen, one of the clinical fields of School of Nursing Hanze University Groningen has the same level of understanding of the skill as a clinical instructor and as a clinician. Additionally, as the number of RN is sufficient, every student attached with one RN. The RN who has responsibility to be clinical instructor has special certificate representing their capability from the hospital.
- Specific approaches for every field has should be considered when making the method of clinical teaching. Routine task of nurses in every specific area is different as the client condition and the situation is not the same. This condition also affecting the number of the clinical instructor needed and the ratio between students and clinical instructor. Furthermore, to improve the client satisfaction, improving chance of the student to learn more, minimizing the risk of adverse event in the clinic, limitation of the student in one room is urgent to be discussed.
- Improving the plan of action for the students before entering the clinical to give more personal awareness and preference to improve students’ readiness to practice. According the student plan of action, assignment and assessment can be adjusted with the policy of the faculty and the clinical instructor.
- Improving the instrument of the clinical target and assessment for the current clinical practice is needed. The daily activities of the clinical instructor is demonstrating the procedure, giving meaning of the activities and giving feedback on student’s performance while they are performing the role of clinician. Discussion with the students is done during reading the previous report, in the break time or while they are performing nursing activities together. Routine feedback is based on the student plan of action. After the feedback session, the student has to make critical review report about the feedback and make a plan to improve the performance. The critical review and plan will be discussed in the practice or in the next feedback session.
- Reducing the number of rotation. If students is rarely rotated to the other ward or unit, it allows the student to know the ward routines and confident to learn more. The target should be focused on the nursing competency, not for the number of cased or disease should be experienced by the students.
(What do you think about your current instructional practice in Clinical life? Do you satisfy with the students respon and progress? Do you want to foster the gradute soft skill and hard skill?)
Creating better climate for learn will give the teacher learn how teach and reflect their own practice. Sensitivity in sensing the current practice will boost the inert power to reach the highest level of personal ultimate as a nurse educator. Indeed, the students feel the atmosphere and transferring positive energy to enjoy the learning climate, flouring the profession with love and care.